Printing Press Operators
Press Operator, Pressman, Printer, Printing Press Operator
see titles from the Air Force, Coast Guard, or Marine Corps.
Photojournalist; Photojournalist Apprentice; Photojournalist Craftsman; Photojournalist Helper; Photojournalist Journeyman
Basic Combat Camera Marine; Combat Camera Production Specialist; Photojournalist Apprentice; Photojournalist Craftsman; Photojournalist Helper; Photojournalist Journeyman
What they do:
Set up and operate digital, letterpress, lithographic, flexographic, gravure, or other printing machines. Includes short-run offset printing presses.
On the job, you would:
- Collect and inspect random samples during print runs to identify any necessary adjustments.
- Examine job orders to determine quantities to be printed, stock specifications, colors, or special printing instructions.
- Verify that paper and ink meet the specifications for a given job.
Engineering and Technology
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- listen and understand what people say
- read and understand what is written
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- order or arrange things
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
Graphics or photo imaging software
- Graphics software
- Image editing software
Desktop publishing software
- Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign
- Adobe Systems Adobe PageMaker
Document management software
- Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat software
- Adobe Systems Adobe LifeCycle Production Print ES3
high school diploma/GED or
certificate after high school
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
per year, on average
- Coating, Painting, & Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Drilling & Boring Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, & Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Milling & Planing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Print Binding & Finishing Workers
You might like a career in one of these industries: