Sailors & Marine Oilers
Able Bodied Seaman (AB Seaman), Able Seaman, Deck Hand, Deckhand
see titles from the Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, or Navy.
Aviation Operations Specialist; Watercraft Engineer; Watercraft Operator
Aviation Operations Specialist; Quartermaster; Riverine Assault Craft (RAC) Crewman; Special Warfare Boat Operator; Watercraft Engineer; Watercraft Operator
Boatswain's Mate; Ordinary Seaman; Quartermaster; Seaman; Seaman Apprentice; Seaman Recruit; Special Warfare Boat Operator
What they do:
Stand watch to look for obstructions in path of vessel, measure water depth, turn wheel on bridge, or use emergency equipment as directed by captain, mate, or pilot. Break out, rig, overhaul, and store cargo-handling gear, stationary rigging, and running gear. Perform a variety of maintenance tasks to preserve the painted surface of the ship and to maintain line and ship equipment. Must hold government-issued certification and tankerman certification when working aboard liquid-carrying vessels. Includes able seamen and ordinary seamen.
On the job, you would:
- Maintain government-issued certifications, as required.
- Lower and man lifeboats when emergencies occur.
- Stand by wheels when ships are on automatic pilot and verify accuracy of courses, using magnetic compasses.
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- movement of people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- hold or move items with your hands
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
Hearing and Speech
- pay attention to one sound while there are other distracting sounds
- recognize spoken words
- quickly compare groups of letters, numbers, pictures, or other things
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Self Control
- Attention to Detail
- Stress Tolerance
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
Data base user interface and query software
- KNMI TurboWin
- Kongsberg Maritime K-Log Deck Logbook
Facilities management software
- Computerized maintenance management system CMMS software