Wholesale & Retail Buyers
Buyer, Category Manager, Procurement Specialist, Trader
see titles from the Army or Marine Corps.
Automated Logistical Specialist; Supply Systems Technician; Unit Supply Specialist
Marine Corps Community Services Marine; Supply Administration and Operations Specialist; Supply Systems Technician
What they do:
Buy merchandise or commodities, other than farm products, for resale to consumers at the wholesale or retail level, including both durable and nondurable goods. Analyze past buying trends, sales records, price, and quality of merchandise to determine value and yield. Select, order, and authorize payment for merchandise according to contractual agreements. May conduct meetings with sales personnel and introduce new products. Includes assistant wholesale and retail buyers of nonfarm products.
On the job, you would:
- Use computers to organize and locate inventory, and operate spreadsheet and word processing software.
- Negotiate prices, discount terms and transportation arrangements for merchandise.
- Manage the department for which they buy.
- customer service
Arts and Humanities
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking to others
- bringing people together to solve differences
- talking people into changing their minds or their behavior
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- use rules to solve problems
People interested in this work like activities that include leading, making decisions, and business.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Stress Tolerance
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Point of sale POS software
- Millennium Software Atrex
- Plexis Software Plexis POS
Enterprise resource planning ERP software
- Biztrak Business Solutions Biztrak
- JDA Software Group Assortment Planning by Arthur
Materials requirements planning logistics and supply chain software
- Infor Supply Chain Management
- Kliger-Weiss Infosystems software