Engineering Teachers, Postsecondary
Professor, Instructor, Associate Professor, Electrical Engineering Professor
see titles from the Army or Navy.
USMA, Professor of Civil and Mechanical Engineering; USMA, Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
What they do:
Teach courses pertaining to the application of physical laws and principles of engineering for the development of machines, materials, instruments, processes, and services. Includes teachers of subjects such as chemical, civil, electrical, industrial, mechanical, mineral, and petroleum engineering. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
On the job, you would:
- Conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals, books, or electronic media.
- Prepare course materials such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
- Prepare and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as mechanics, hydraulics, and robotics.
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
- reading work related information
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- communicate by speaking
- communicate by writing
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- group things in different ways
- pay attention to something without being distracted
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
Examples of the technology used in this career will be available soon.