Engineering Teachers, Postsecondary
Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Instructor, Professor
see titles from the Army or Navy.
USMA, Professor of Civil and Mechanical Engineering; USMA, Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
CWO - Civil Engineer Corps; Instructor, Engineering; LDO - Civil Engineer Corps; SC - Civil Engineer Corps
What they do:
Teach courses pertaining to the application of physical laws and principles of engineering for the development of machines, materials, instruments, processes, and services. Includes teachers of subjects such as chemical, civil, electrical, industrial, mechanical, mineral, and petroleum engineering. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
On the job, you would:
- Conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals, books, or electronic media.
- Prepare course materials, such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
- Evaluate and grade students' class work, laboratory work, assignments, and papers.
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
- talking to others
- using the best training or teaching strategies for learning new things
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- communicate by speaking
- read and understand what is written
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- use rules to solve problems
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Computer based training software
- Blackboard Learn
Word processing software
- Google Docs
- Microsoft Word
Analytical or scientific software
- Finite element analysis software
- The MathWorks MATLAB