Forest & Conservation Workers
Crew Leader, Foreman, Forest Resource Specialist, Tree Planter
see titles from the Air Force, Coast Guard, or Marine Corps.
Pest Management; Pest Management Apprentice; Pest Management Craftsman; Pest Management Helper; Pest Management Journeyman
Pest Management Apprentice; Pest Management Craftsman; Pest Management Helper; Pest Management Journeyman
What they do:
Under supervision, perform manual labor necessary to develop, maintain, or protect areas such as forests, forested areas, woodlands, wetlands, and rangelands through such activities as raising and transporting seedlings; combating insects, pests, and diseases harmful to plant life; and building structures to control water, erosion, and leaching of soil. Includes forester aides, seedling pullers, and tree planters.
On the job, you would:
- Check equipment to ensure that it is operating properly.
- Confer with other workers to discuss issues such as safety, cutting heights, or work needs.
- Gather, package, or deliver forest products to buyers.
Math and Science
Arts and Humanities
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- law and government
- talking to others
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- order or arrange things
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- exercise for a long time without getting out of breath
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Map creation software
- ESRI ArcGIS software
- Geographic information system GIS software
Word processing software