Cutting, Punching, & Press Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
Machine Operator, Press Operator, Set-Up Operator, Saw Operator
see titles from the Army, Marine Corps, or Navy.
Allied Trades Specialist
Allied Trades Specialist; Machinery Repairman; Machinist
What they do:
Set up, operate, or tend machines to saw, cut, shear, slit, punch, crimp, notch, bend, or straighten metal or plastic material.
On the job, you would:
- Measure completed workpieces to verify conformance to specifications, using micrometers, gauges, calipers, templates, or rulers.
- Examine completed workpieces for defects, such as chipped edges or marred surfaces and sort defective pieces according to types of flaws.
- Read work orders or production schedules to determine specifications, such as materials to be used, locations of cutting lines, or dimensions and tolerances.
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Engineering and Technology
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- hold or move items with your hands
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
- read and understand what is written
- communicate by speaking
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
Computer aided manufacturing CAM software
Word processing software
high school diploma/GED or
no high school diploma/GED
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
per year, on average
- Extruding, Forming, Pressing, & Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Packaging & Filling Machine Operators & Tenders
- Print Binding & Finishing Workers
- Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Wood
- Welding, Soldering, & Brazing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
You might like a career in one of these industries: