Lathe & Turning Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
Machinist, Lathe Operator, Computer Numerical Control Lathe Operator (CNC Lathe Operator), Machine Operator
see titles from the Army, Marine Corps, or Navy.
Allied Trades Specialist
Allied Trades Specialist; Machinery Repairman; Machinist
What they do:
Set up, operate, or tend lathe and turning machines to turn, bore, thread, form, or face metal or plastic materials, such as wire, rod, or bar stock.
On the job, you would:
- Inspect sample workpieces to verify conformance with specifications, using instruments such as gauges, micrometers, and dial indicators.
- Study blueprints, layouts or charts, and job orders for information on specifications and tooling instructions, and to determine material requirements and operational sequences.
- Adjust machine controls and change tool settings to keep dimensions within specified tolerances.
Engineering and Technology
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- put together small parts with your fingers
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Object or component oriented development software
Industrial control software
- Autodesk HSMWorks
- Computer numerical control CNC editor software
Inventory management software
- Inventory tracking software
high school diploma/GED or
certificate after high school
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
per year, on average
- Cutting, Punching, & Press Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, & Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Milling & Planing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Wood
- Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
You might like a career in one of these industries: