Also called: Associate Drafter, Drafter, Electrical Designer, Engineering Associate
What they do:Develop specifications and instructions for installation of voltage transformers, overhead or underground cables, and related electrical equipment used to conduct electrical energy from transmission lines or high-voltage distribution lines to consumers.
On the job, you would:
- Use computer-aided drafting equipment or conventional drafting stations, technical handbooks, tables, calculators, and traditional drafting tools, such as boards, pencils, protractors, and T-squares.
- Draft working drawings, wiring diagrams, wiring connection specifications or cross-sections of underground cables, as required for instructions to installation crew.
- Assemble documentation packages and produce drawing sets which are checked by an engineer or an architect.
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- administrative services
- customer service
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- reading work related information
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Data base user interface and query software
Project management software
- Oracle JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Project Management
- PTC Pro/INTRALINK