Acting Section Chief, Assistant County Engineer, Director Water and Waste Services, Engineer and Geologist
see titles from the Air Force, Coast Guard, or Marine Corps.
Water and Fuel Systems Maintenance; Water and Fuel Systems Maintenance Apprentice; Water and Fuel Systems Maintenance Craftsman; Water and Fuel Systems Maintenance Helper; Water and Fuel Systems Maintenance Journeyman
Water and Fuel Systems Maintenance
Water and Fuel Systems Maintenance Apprentice; Water and Fuel Systems Maintenance Craftsman; Water and Fuel Systems Maintenance Helper; Water and Fuel Systems Maintenance Journeyman
What they do:
Design or oversee projects involving provision of potable water, disposal of wastewater and sewage, or prevention of flood-related damage. Prepare environmental documentation for water resources, regulatory program compliance, data management and analysis, and field work. Perform hydraulic modeling and pipeline design.
On the job, you would:
- Provide technical direction or supervision to junior engineers, engineering or computer-aided design (CAD) technicians, or other technical personnel.
- Conduct feasibility studies for the construction of facilities, such as water supply systems, run-off collection networks, water and wastewater treatment plants, or wastewater collection systems.
- Design pumping systems, pumping stations, pipelines, force mains, or sewers for the collection of wastewater.
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- using math to solve problems
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- use rules to solve problems
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Computer aided design CAD software
- Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Bentley SewerCAD
Analytical or scientific software
Map creation software
- ESRI ArcGIS software
bachelor's degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
per year, on average
You might like a career in one of these industries: