Certification: Fiber Optics Technician (FOT)
A Fiber Optic Technician has a full understanding of inside plant optical fiber, connector, and splice performance characteristics as described in TIA-568C and can use these performance characteristics to create a worst case power budget for a fiber optic cable plant. An FOT can proficiently perform optical loss testing as described in TIA/EIA-526-14A and perform connector endface evaluation as described in TIA-455-57B. Using an OTDR an FOT can effectively locate faults in a fiber optic cable, mated connector pair, or splice as well as evaluate optical fiber performance, mated connector pair performance, or splice performance for compliance with TIA-568C.
- More than two years of education or training after high school required?
- Oral or Written Exam Required?
- Renewal Required?
- Every 4 Year(s)
- Renew through Re-Examination?
- Does applicant have choice of at least two options from above for renewal (CEU, CPD, or exam)?
The certification corresponds to a specialty within a recognized occupation. For example, Oncology Nurse and Pediatric Nurse are specialties within the nursing field, so Certified Oncology Nurse and Certified Pediatric Nurse would be classified as specialty certifications.
- This certification is related to military occupational specialties.