Certification: Certified Coding Associate (CCA)
233 N. Michigan Avenue, Suite 2150, Chicago, IL 60601-5519
American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) recognizes that the demand for coders has never been greater, and this need is expected to continue for some years to come. By creating an entry-level coding credential based on job analysis standards and state-of-the-art test construction, AHIMA aims to increase the number of qualified new coders. The result? A larger pool of qualified coders for employers to choose from; certified coders doing a better job managing health information; and recognition for AHIMA members as industry experts and leaders in clinical coding.<br>New coders who earn the CCA will immediately demonstrate their competency in the field, even if they don't have much job experience. Earning a CCA demonstrates a commitment to coding even for those who are new in the field. CCA holders will also distinguish themselves from non-credentialed coders and those who hold credentials from other organizations that do not require the higher level of expertise necessary to earn AHIMA certification.
- More than two years of education or training after high school required?
- More than two years of work experience required?
- Oral or Written Exam Required?
- Renewal Required?
- Every 3 Year(s)
- Renew through Continuing Educational Units(CEU)?
- Renew through Re-Examination?
- Renew through Continuing Professional Development(CPD)?
- The certification does not have a minimum education level or has an education level below a two-year Associates of Arts or Associates of Sciences degree and the certification does not have a minimum requirement for work experience or requires two or less years of work experience.
- The certification has an education level of an Associates of Arts or Associates of Sciences degree or higher, but has a work experience requirement of less than 2 years of work experience.
- The certification has a work experience requirement of more than 2 years but does not require a two-year Associates of Arts or Associates of Sciences degree.
- This certification is considered in demand.
- This certification is accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA).
- This certification is related to military occupational specialties.