Designer, Interior Design Consultant, Interior Design Coordinator, Interior Designer
What they do:Plan, design, and furnish the internal space of rooms or buildings. Design interior environments or create physical layouts that are practical, aesthetic, and conducive to the intended purposes. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
On the job, you would:
- Design plans to be safe and to be compliant with the American Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Coordinate with other professionals, such as contractors, architects, engineers, and plumbers, to ensure job success.
- Inspect construction work on site to ensure its adherence to the design plans.
Engineering and Technology
- building and construction
- customer service
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- music, dance, visual arts, drama, or sculpture
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- looking for ways to help people
- understanding people's reactions
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- create new and original ideas
- come up with lots of ideas
- pay attention to something without being distracted
People interested in this work like activities that include creating, designing, and making your own rules.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
Computer aided design CAD software
- Autodesk Revit
- Trimble SketchUp Pro
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Graphics or photo imaging software
- Adobe Systems Adobe Creative Cloud software
- Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator
Education: (rated 4 of 5)
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Commercial & Industrial Designers
- Craft Artists
- Fashion Designers
- Landscape Architects
- Set & Exhibit Designers
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about interior designers.