Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons
Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS), Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon (OMS), Oral Surgeon, Surgeon
What they do:Perform surgery and related procedures on the hard and soft tissues of the oral and maxillofacial regions to treat diseases, injuries, or defects. May diagnose problems of the oral and maxillofacial regions. May perform surgery to improve function or appearance.
On the job, you would:
- Administer general and local anesthetics.
- Collaborate with other professionals, such as restorative dentists and orthodontists, to plan treatment.
- Evaluate the position of the wisdom teeth to determine whether problems exist currently or might occur in the future.
- medicine and dentistry
- therapy and counseling
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Math and Science
- customer service
- reading work related information
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- put together small parts with your fingers
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- notice when problems happen
- pay attention to something without being distracted
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Concern for Others
- Self Control
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
Graphics or photo imaging software
- Apteryx Imaging Suite
- Sirona SIDEXIS XG
- DecisionBase TiME for OMS
- Dolphin Imaging & Management Solutions Dolphin Management
Development environment software
Education: (rated 5 of 5)
post-doctoral training or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about oral and maxillofacial surgeons.