Board Certified Orthodontist, Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics Specialist, Orthodontist
What they do:Examine, diagnose, and treat dental malocclusions and oral cavity anomalies. Design and fabricate appliances to realign teeth and jaws to produce and maintain normal function and to improve appearance.
On the job, you would:
- Study diagnostic records, such as medical or dental histories, plaster models of the teeth, photos of a patient's face and teeth, and X-rays, to develop patient treatment plans.
- Adjust dental appliances to produce and maintain normal function.
- Fit dental appliances in patients' mouths to alter the position and relationship of teeth and jaws or to realign teeth.
- medicine and dentistry
- customer service
- accounting and economics
Math and Science
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking to others
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- understanding people's reactions
- changing what is done based on other people's actions
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- put together small parts with your fingers
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- pay attention to something without being distracted
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
Office suite software
- Microsoft Office software
- Patient management software
- PerfectByte Ortho
Graphics or photo imaging software
- American Orthodontics Compu-Ceph
- GAC International OrthoPlex
Education: (rated 5 of 5)
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Dentists, General
- Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Orthopedic Surgeons
- Pediatric Surgeons
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about orthodontists.