Family Medicine Physicians
Family Physician, Family Practice Physician (FP Physician), Medical Doctor (MD), Physician
What they do:Diagnose, treat, and provide preventive care to individuals and families across the lifespan. May refer patients to specialists when needed for further diagnosis or treatment.
On the job, you would:
- Prescribe or administer treatment, therapy, medication, vaccination, and other specialized medical care to treat or prevent illness, disease, or injury.
- Order, perform, and interpret tests and analyze records, reports, and examination information to diagnose patients' condition.
- Collect, record, and maintain patient information, such as medical history, reports, or examination results.
- medicine and dentistry
- therapy and counseling
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Math and Science
- customer service
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- looking for ways to help people
- understanding people's reactions
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- use rules to solve problems
- pay attention to something without being distracted
- do two or more things at the same time
- see hidden patterns
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
- eClinicalWorks EHR software
- Epic Systems
- Microsoft Excel
Electronic mail software
- Email software
Education: (rated 5 of 5)
doctoral degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Emergency Medicine Physicians
- General Internal Medicine Physicians
- Pediatric Surgeons
- Pediatricians, General
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about family medicine physicians.