Dental Hygienist, Hygienist, Licensed Dental Hygienist, Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH)
What they do:Administer oral hygiene care to patients. Assess patient oral hygiene problems or needs and maintain health records. Advise patients on oral health maintenance and disease prevention. May provide advanced care such as providing fluoride treatment or administering topical anesthesia.
On the job, you would:
- Record and review patient medical histories.
- Feel and visually examine gums for sores and signs of disease.
- Examine gums, using probes, to locate periodontal recessed gums and signs of gum disease.
- medicine and dentistry
- customer service
Math and Science
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking to others
- looking for ways to help people
- understanding people's reactions
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- put together small parts with your fingers
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- do two or more things at the same time
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Concern for Others
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
- Microsoft Excel
- Dental office management software
- Henry Schein Dentrix
Electronic mail software
- Email software
Education: (rated 3 of 5)
associate's degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Dental Assistants
- Medical Assistants
- Ophthalmic Medical Technicians
- Surgical Assistants
- Surgical Technologists
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about dental hygienists.