Also called: Shampoo Assistant, Shampoo Technician, Shampooer, Stylist Assistant
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
The people who cut, style, and color hair, and sell specialty beauty products are barbers, hairdressers, and cosmetologists. They creatively enhance each client’s appearance, and keep up with hairstyle trends. Hairstylists and barbers listen carefully to clients’ preferences, and make sure they are satisfied with their results, while finishing in time for their next appointment. Barbers usually serve male clients for shampoos, haircuts, and shaves. Some fit hairpieces and perform facials. Hairdressers, or hairstylists, provide coloring, chemical hair treatments, and styling in addition to shampoos and cuts, and serve both female and male clients. Cosmetologists perform scalp and facial treatments and conduct make-up analysis. While some barbers, hairdressers, and cosmetologists work in spas or hotels, most work in barbershops and salons. Some lease chair space from a salon owner, others open their own shops after gaining experience. These workers are on their feet for most of their shift, and often wear gloves or aprons when giving chemical hair treatments. Many work full time, including nights and weekends, however part-time positions are also common. Salon owners work long hours and manage employees… inventory… ordering and bookkeeping. Barbers, hairdressers, and cosmetologists must complete a program in a state-licensed barber or cosmetology school and obtain licensure. Full-time programs in barbering and cosmetology usually last at least 9 months.
What they do:Shampoo and rinse customers' hair.
On the job, you would:
- Massage, shampoo, and condition patron's hair and scalp to clean them and remove excess oil.
- Advise patrons with chronic or potentially contagious scalp conditions to seek medical treatment.
- Treat scalp conditions and hair loss, using specialized lotions, shampoos, or equipment such as infrared lamps or vibrating equipment.
- customer service
- sales and marketing
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- talking to others
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- looking for ways to help people
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- hold or move items with your hands
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Self Control
- Concern for Others
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
Web page creation and editing software
Electronic mail software
- Email software
Internet browser software
- Web browser software
- Hairdressers, Hairstylists, & Cosmetologists
- Manicurists & Pedicurists
- Massage Therapists
- Skincare Specialists
You might like a career in one of these industries: