Brickmasons & Blockmasons
Also called: Brick Layer, Brick Mason, Bricklayer, Mason
What they do:Lay and bind building materials, such as brick, structural tile, concrete block, cinder block, glass block, and terra-cotta block, with mortar and other substances to construct or repair walls, partitions, arches, sewers, and other structures.
On the job, you would:
- Remove excess mortar with trowels and hand tools, and finish mortar joints with jointing tools, for a sealed, uniform appearance.
- Construct corners by fastening in plumb position a corner pole or building a corner pyramid of bricks, and filling in between the corners using a line from corner to corner to guide each course, or layer, of brick.
- Measure distance from reference points and mark guidelines to lay out work, using plumb bobs and levels.
Engineering and Technology
- building and construction
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- customer service
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- lift, push, pull, or carry
- use your lower back and stomach
- exercise for a long time without getting out of breath
- pay attention to something without being distracted
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Project management software
- CPR Visual Estimator
- Estimating software
Examples of Registered Apprenticeship programs include:
- Bricklayer (Brick and Tile)
- Bricklayer, Firebrick and Refractory Tile
- Bricklayers & Mason
- Chimney Repairer
- Electrical Power-Line Installers & Repairers
- Fiberglass Laminators & Fabricators
- Mixing & Blending Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Separating, Filtering, Clarifying, Precipitating, & Still Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
You might like a career in one of these industries: