Helpers--Brickmasons, Blockmasons, Stonemasons, & Tile & Marble Setters
Also called: Bricklayer Helper, Hod Carrier, Marble Finisher Helper, Mason Tender
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
Building materials like stone and brick add artistry to buildings and homes. Brickmasons, Stonemasons, and Tile and Marble Setters depend upon helpers to get the work done. Although helpers handle the aspects of the job that call for a lesser degree of skill, their contribution is very important. First of all, they carry the materials and equipment needed at the job site. Often they are the ones responsible for organizing and keeping a list of the items. Helpers prepare the area where the work is to be done. This may include ripping up and removing the old materials. They may be called upon to hold materials or tools, having them ready for the craftsmen. They apply the caulk or sealants to the installed surfaces… and they wipe away excess grout. Helpers also assist with equipment maintenance. The work is physically demanding. At times, helpers handle extremely heavy materials. Bending…lifting, working on your knees…or over your head… are all part of a typical day’s work. No formal training is required. Helpers learn these tasks on the job from more experienced workers. If you have the ability to take direction and want to get in on the ground floor of a challenging job in construction – helping a brickmason, stonemason, or tile and marble setter may be the job for you.
What they do:Help brickmasons, blockmasons, stonemasons, or tile and marble setters by performing duties requiring less skill. Duties include using, supplying, or holding materials or tools, and cleaning work area and equipment.
On the job, you would:
- Mix mortar, plaster, and grout, manually or using machines, according to standard formulas.
- Erect scaffolding or other installation structures.
- Cut materials to specified sizes for installation, using power saws or tile cutters.
Engineering and Technology
- building and construction
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- hold or move items with your hands
- use your lower back and stomach
- lift, push, pull, or carry
- exercise for a long time without getting out of breath
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Computer aided design CAD software
Project management software
- CPR Visual Estimator
- RISA Technologies RISAMasonry
- Brickmasons & Blockmasons
- Helpers--Painters, Paperhangers, Plasterers, & Stucco Masons
- Helpers--Pipelayers, Plumbers, Pipefitters, & Steamfitters
- Terrazzo Workers & Finishers
You might like a career in one of these industries: