Electronic Home Entertainment Equipment Installers & Repairers
Also called: Electronic Technician, Field Service Technician, Home Theater Installer, Satellite Installer
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
Home theaters and sound systems continually get closer to replicating the experience of seeing a movie in theaters or hearing a musician live. These systems require skilled professionals to install and maintain them. Electronic home entertainment equipment installers and repairers help customers achieve the optimal audio-visual experience by installing or adjusting audio and television receivers, stereo systems, and other home entertainment equipment. These workers spend much of their time in customers’ homes so customer service skills are especially important, in addition to the technical expertise to make fine adjustments and repairs. Hours and workweeks can vary based on customer demand. Home entertainment installers and repairers typically need a post-secondary certificate related to electronics or wiring.
What they do:Repair, adjust, or install audio or television receivers, stereo systems, camcorders, video systems, or other electronic home entertainment equipment.
On the job, you would:
- Disassemble entertainment equipment and repair or replace loose, worn, or defective components and wiring, using hand tools and soldering irons.
- Install, service, and repair electronic equipment or instruments such as televisions, radios, and videocassette recorders.
- Calibrate and test equipment, and locate circuit and component faults, using hand and power tools and measuring and testing instruments such as resistance meters and oscilloscopes.
- customer service
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- product and service development
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- reading work related information
- figuring out how to use new ideas or things
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- put together small parts with your fingers
- hold or move items with your hands
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- use rules to solve problems
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Mobile location based services software
- Global Positioning System GPS software
Word processing software