Automotive Service Technicians & Mechanics
Automotive Mechanic (Auto Mechanic), Automotive Technician (Auto Tech), Mechanic, Service Technician (Service Tech)
What they do:Diagnose, adjust, repair, or overhaul automotive vehicles.
On the job, you would:
- Inspect vehicles for damage and record findings so that necessary repairs can be made.
- Test drive vehicles and test components and systems, using equipment such as infrared engine analyzers, compression gauges, and computerized diagnostic devices.
- Test and adjust repaired systems to meet manufacturers' performance specifications.
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- customer service
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- put together small parts with your fingers
Ideas and Logic
- use rules to solve problems
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- pay attention to something without being distracted
- do two or more things at the same time
- quickly compare groups of letters, numbers, pictures, or other things
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Electronic mail software
- IBM Notes
- Microsoft Outlook
Video creation and editing software
Facilities management software
- Alliance Automotive Shop Controller
- Snap-On ShopKey
Education: (rated 3 of 5)
certificate after high school or
high school diploma/GED
high school diploma/GED
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Bus & Truck Mechanics & Diesel Engine Specialists
- Electric Motor, Power Tool, & Related Repairers
- Engine & Other Machine Assemblers
- Motorboat Mechanics & Service Technicians
- Rail Car Repairers
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about automotive service technicians and mechanics.