Commercial Diver, Diver, Diver Tender, Tender
What they do:Work below surface of water, using surface-supplied air or scuba equipment to inspect, repair, remove, or install equipment and structures. May use a variety of power and hand tools, such as drills, sledgehammers, torches, and welding equipment. May conduct tests or experiments, rig explosives, or photograph structures or marine life.
On the job, you would:
- Take appropriate safety precautions, such as monitoring dive lengths and depths and registering with authorities before diving expeditions begin.
- Check and maintain diving equipment, such as helmets, masks, air tanks, harnesses, or gauges.
- Communicate with workers on the surface while underwater, using signal lines or telephones.
Engineering and Technology
- building and construction
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- customer service
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- changing what is done based on other people's actions
- teaching people how to do something
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- hold or move items with your hands
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
Data base user interface and query software
- Diving logbook software
- Remote operated vehicle ROV dive log software
Analytical or scientific software
- Dynamic positioning DP software
Internet browser software
- Web browser software
Education: (rated 3 of 5)
certificate after high school or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about commercial divers.