Airline Pilots, Copilots, & Flight Engineers
Also called: Airline Captain, Airline Pilot, First Officer, Pilot
What they do:Pilot and navigate the flight of fixed-wing, multi-engine aircraft, usually on scheduled air carrier routes, for the transport of passengers and cargo. Requires Federal Air Transport Pilot certificate and rating for specific aircraft type used. Includes regional, National, and international airline pilots and flight instructors of airline pilots.
On the job, you would:
- Work as part of a flight team with other crew members, especially during takeoffs and landings.
- Use instrumentation to guide flights when visibility is poor.
- Start engines, operate controls, and pilot airplanes to transport passengers, mail, or freight, adhering to flight plans, regulations, and procedures.
- movement of people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- quickly decide if you should move your hand, foot, or other body part
- pay attention to something without being distracted
- do two or more things at the same time
- decide which thing is closer or farther away from you or decide how far away it is from you
- see details that are far away
- see hidden patterns
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Stress Tolerance
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Data base user interface and query software
- Airline Pilots Daily Aviation Log PPC
- AirSmith FlightPrompt
Route navigation software
Information retrieval or search software
- Notam Development Group Airport Insight