Boat Operator, Crew Boat Operator, Launch Operator, Water Taxi Operator
What they do:Operate small motor-driven boats. May assist in navigational activities.
On the job, you would:
- Maintain desired courses, using compasses or electronic navigational aids.
- Follow safety procedures to ensure the protection of passengers, cargo, and vessels.
- Direct safety operations in emergency situations.
- customer service
Math and Science
Engineering and Technology
- movement of people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road
- talking to others
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
- pay attention to something without being distracted
- do two or more things at the same time
- know where things are around you
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Concern for Others
- Stress Tolerance
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- Echo sounder software
- Radar software
Expert system software
- Autopilot software
Mobile location based services software
- Global positioning system GPS software
Education: (rated 2 of 5)
certificate after high school or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Captains, Mates, & Pilots of Water Vessels
- Dredge Operators
- Fishing & Hunting Workers
- Sailors & Marine Oilers
- Ship Engineers
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about motorboat operators.