Also called: Boat Operator, Crew Boat Operator, Launch Operator, Water Taxi Operator
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
Motorboat operators run small, motor-driven boats that carry only a few passengers. They operate fishing charters, tours, and harbor patrols. Their technical tasks include refueling, checking and changing the oil and other fluids, navigation, and ensuring any cargo or materials are secure. For passenger boats, motorboat operators pick up passengers and help them board and instruct them in emergency procedures… some also act as tour guides or fishing guides in their work. Motorboat operators are exposed to all kinds of weather, and must follow safety procedures to keep themselves and passengers safe. Motorboat operators typically go out for a few hours at a time and return home each night. Many work in locations that are vacation destinations, and have seasonal schedules. While there are no standard educational requirements for motorboat operators, many employers prefer candidates who have a motorboat operator certificate.
What they do:Operate small motor-driven boats. May assist in navigational activities.
On the job, you would:
- Maintain desired courses, using compasses or electronic navigational aids.
- Follow safety procedures to ensure the protection of passengers, cargo, and vessels.
- Direct safety operations in emergency situations.
- customer service
Math and Science
Engineering and Technology
- movement of people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road
- talking to others
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
- pay attention to something without being distracted
- do two or more things at the same time
- know where things are around you
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Concern for Others
- Stress Tolerance
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- Echo sounder software
- Radar software
Expert system software
- Autopilot software
Mobile location based services software
- Global positioning system GPS software