Gas Compressor & Gas Pumping Station Operators
Also called: Compressor Station Operator, Compressor Technician, Filler, Plant Operator
What they do:Operate steam, gas, electric motor, or internal combustion engine driven compressors. Transmit, compress, or recover gases, such as butane, nitrogen, hydrogen, and natural gas.
On the job, you would:
- Monitor meters and pressure gauges to determine consumption rate variations, temperatures, and pressures.
- Respond to problems by adjusting control room equipment or instructing other personnel to adjust equipment at problem locations or in other control areas.
- Record instrument readings and operational changes in operating logs.
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- customer service
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- quickly compare groups of letters, numbers, pictures, or other things
- see hidden patterns
- pay attention to something without being distracted
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Stress Tolerance
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Electronic mail software
Facilities management software
- Computerized maintenance management system CMMS
- Adhesive Bonding Machine Operators & Tenders
- Computer-Controlled Machine Tool Operators, Metal & Plastic
- Cutting & Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Extruding & Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
You might like a career in one of these industries: