Field Operator, Lease Operator, Pumper, Well Tender
What they do:
Operate power pumps and auxiliary equipment to produce flow of oil or gas from wells in oil field.
On the job, you would:
- Monitor pumps and flow lines for gas and fluid leaks.
- Gauge oil and gas production.
- Start compressor engines and divert oil from storage tanks into compressor units and auxiliary equipment to recover natural gas from oil.
Engineering and Technology
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Industrial control software
- Moxa software
- Supervisory control and data acquisition SCADA software
Electronic mail software
high school diploma/GED or
certificate after high school
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
- Cooling & Freezing Equipment Operators & Tenders
- Extruding, Forming, Pressing, & Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Mixing & Blending Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
You might like a career in one of these industries: