Certification: Fiber Optics Technician - Outside Plant (FOI-OSP)
A Fiber Optic Technician - Outside Plant (OSP) must be able to properly terminate, test and troubleshoot singlemode fiber optic communication systems. This includes various types of termination techniques applicable to high speed laser based systems including SONET, DWDM, FTTx, CATV networks using ITU-T G.652 and G.655 singlemode fibers. Disciplines include mechanical and fusion splicing per the TIA-758 standard and the preparation of fiber optical cables and cable management products. Testing and troubleshooting of each element of the fiber optic communication systems along with unique test requirements of SONET, DWDM, FTTx, and CATV networks. Testing roles include optical loss testing of transmission equipment and fiber spans per the TIA-526-7 standard along with an understanding of OTDR theory and skills including acceptance testing and troubleshooting of fiber optic elements and spans. The FOT-OSP understands optical loss budgets, not to exceed loss budgets and has the knowledge and skills required for troubleshooting singlemode OSP fiber optic communications systems addressing the roles of attenuation, dispersion and refection and how to identify and troubleshoot each. The FOT-OSP should have a basic understanding of the National Electrical Safety Code (NESC) and the National Electrical Code (NEC) and all safety conditions specific to the outside plant environment and the applicable transmission equipment.
- More than two years of education or training after high school required?
- More than two years of work experience required?
- Oral or Written Exam Required?
- Renewal Required?
- Every 4 Year(s)
- Renew through Continuing Educational Units(CEU)?
- Renew through Re-Examination?
- Renew through Continuing Professional Development(CPD)?
- Does applicant have choice of at least two options from above for renewal (CEU, CPD, or exam)?
The certification has an education level of an Associates of Arts or Associates of Sciences degree or higher and has a work experience requirement of more than 2 years, or requires obtaining a ‘core’ level certification from the same organization.
- This certification is related to military occupational specialties.