Information Security Analysts
Information Security Officer, Information Systems Security Officer (ISSO), Information Technology Security Analyst (IT Security Analyst), Network Security Analyst
Select a military branch to see samples.
Bomber/Special Electronic Warfare and Radar Surveillance Integrated Avionics; Bomber/Special Electronic Warfare and Radar Surveillance Integrated Avionics Helper, E-8; Cable and Antenna Defense Operations Helper, Cable and Antenna Operations; Cryptologic Analyst and Reporter Helper; Cyber Defense Operations Craftsman, Security Operations; Cyber Defense Operations Journeyman, Software Development Operations; Cyber Systems Operations Craftsman; Cyberspace Effects Operations, Airlift; Cyberspace Warfare Operations Commander; Spectrum Defense Operations Journeyman, Spectrum Operations
Cyber Capabilities Developer Technician; Cyber Network Defender; Cyber Warfare Officer; Cyber and Electronic Warfare Officer; Health Services Systems Management; Information Protection Technician; Information Technology Specialist; Network Systems Engineering; Senior Signal Warrant Officer; Signal Operations Support Specialist
Cyber; Cyber Effects; Cybersecurity; Electronics Specialty; Electronics Technician; Information System Technician; Information Systems Management; Intelligence Specialist; Intelligence System Specialist; Operations Systems Specialist
Advanced Information Operations (IO) Planner; Basic Information Operations Staff Officer; Communications Officer; Cyber Network Operations Officer; Cyberspace Warfare Operator; Data Systems Chief; Information Operations Specialist; Intelligence Software/Security Engineer; Marine Air Ground Task Force (MAGTF) Communications Planner; Network Engineering Officer
ADP Systems Security Officer; Communication Security Officer; Computer Network Operations; Cryptologic Warfare Officer (Coordinator); Cyber Network Defense Infrastructure Specialist (CNDIS); Electronic Warfare Manager; Information Systems Technician; LDO - Information Professional; Radio Officer; Submarine Carry-On Equipment (COE) Supervisor
Cable and Antennae Defense Operations; Cable and Antennae Defense Operations Journeyman, Cable and Antennae Operations; Cyber Defense Operations Apprentice, Systems Operations; Cyber Defense Operations Craftsman, Systems Operations; Cyber Defense Operations Journeyman; Cyber Defense Operations Manager; Cyber Operations Craftsman, Defensive Cyber Operations; Cyber Operations Journeyman; Cyber Surety Helper; Spectrum Defense Operations
What they do:Plan, implement, upgrade, or monitor security measures for the protection of computer networks and information. Assess system vulnerabilities for security risks and propose and implement risk mitigation strategies. May ensure appropriate security controls are in place that will safeguard digital files and vital electronic infrastructure. May respond to computer security breaches and viruses.
On the job, you would:
- Develop plans to safeguard computer files against accidental or unauthorized modification, destruction, or disclosure and to meet emergency data processing needs.
- Monitor current reports of computer viruses to determine when to update virus protection systems.
- Encrypt data transmissions and erect firewalls to conceal confidential information as it is being transmitted and to keep out tainted digital transfers.
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- product and service development
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- customer service
- reading work related information
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- listen and understand what people say
- read and understand what is written
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- notice when problems happen
- see hidden patterns
- quickly compare groups of letters, numbers, pictures, or other things
People interested in this work like activities that include data, detail, and regular routines.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Web platform development software
- Google Angular
- Spring Framework
Data base user interface and query software
- Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud EC2
- Blackboard software
Transaction security and virus protection software
- NortonLifeLock cybersecurity software
- Stack smashing protection SSP software
Education: (rated 4 of 5)
bachelor's degree or
certificate after college
certificate after college
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Computer Network Support Specialists
- Computer Systems Analysts
- Information Security Engineers
- Network & Computer Systems Administrators
- Penetration Testers
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about information security analysts.