Soil & Plant Scientists
Agronomist, Research Scientist, Research Soil Scientist, Scientist
Select a military branch to see samples.
Pest Management; Pest Management Apprentice; Pest Management Craftsman; Pest Management Helper; Pest Management Journeyman; Public Health Officer; Public Health Officer, Medical Entomologist
Entomology; Medical Service Corps Officer; Preventive Medicine SciencesNo similar titles were found. No similar titles were found.
Entomologist; Preventive Medicine Officer (Aerospace)No similar titles were found.
What they do:Conduct research in breeding, physiology, production, yield, and management of crops and agricultural plants or trees, shrubs, and nursery stock, their growth in soils, and control of pests; or study the chemical, physical, biological, and mineralogical composition of soils as they relate to plant or crop growth. May classify and map soils and investigate effects of alternative practices on soil and crop productivity.
On the job, you would:
- Communicate research or project results to other professionals or the public or teach related courses, seminars, or workshops.
- Develop methods of conserving or managing soil that can be applied by farmers or forestry companies.
- Provide information or recommendations to farmers or other landowners regarding ways in which they can best use land, promote plant growth, or avoid or correct problems such as erosion.
Math and Science
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- product and service development
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
- figuring out how to use new ideas or things
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- communicate by speaking
- communicate by writing
Ideas and Logic
- group things in different ways
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- see hidden patterns
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- Water Erosion Prediction Project WEPP
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Data base user interface and query software
- Microsoft Access
- SoilVision Systems SVOFFICE
Education: (rated 5 of 5)
master's degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Agricultural Engineers
- Conservation Scientists
- Industrial Ecologists
- Precision Agriculture Technicians
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about soil and plant scientists.