Lathe & Turning Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
Computer Numerical Control Lathe Operator (CNC Lathe Operator), Computer Numerical Control Operator (CNC Operator), Lathe Operator, Machine Operator
see titles from the Air Force, Army, Marine Corps, or Navy.
Aircraft Metals Technology; Aircraft Metals Technology Apprentice; Aircraft Metals Technology Craftsman; Aircraft Metals Technology Helper; Aircraft Metals Technology Journeyman
Allied Trades Specialist
What they do:
Set up, operate, or tend lathe and turning machines to turn, bore, thread, form, or face metal or plastic materials, such as wire, rod, or bar stock.
On the job, you would:
- Adjust machine controls and change tool settings to keep dimensions within specified tolerances.
- Replace worn tools, and sharpen dull cutting tools and dies, using bench grinders or cutter-grinding machines.
- Inspect sample workpieces to verify conformance with specifications, using instruments such as gauges, micrometers, and dial indicators.
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Engineering and Technology
Arts and Humanities
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- put together small parts with your fingers
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- change when and how fast you move based on how something else is moving
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Stress Tolerance
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
Object or component oriented development software
Industrial control software
- Autodesk HSMWorks
- Computer numerical control CNC editor software
Inventory management software
- Inventory tracking software
high school diploma/GED or
certificate after high school
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
- Cutting, Punching, & Press Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, & Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Milling & Planing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Wood
- Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
You might like a career in one of these industries: