Hydroelectric Plant Technicians
Hydro Operations and Maintenance Technician (Hydro O&M Technician), Hydroelectric Mechanic, Operations and Maintenance Technican (O&M Technician), Power Plant Mechanic
see titles from the Army.
Cannon Crewmember; Cavalry Scout; Combat Engineer; Unit Supply Specialist; Wheeled Vehicle Repairer
What they do:
Monitor and control activities associated with hydropower generation. Operate plant equipment, such as turbines, pumps, valves, gates, fans, electric control boards, and battery banks. Monitor equipment operation and performance and make necessary adjustments to ensure optimal performance. Perform equipment maintenance and repair as necessary.
On the job, you would:
- Operate high voltage switches or related devices in hydropower stations.
- Identify or address malfunctions of hydroelectric plant operational equipment, such as generators, transformers, or turbines.
- Inspect water-powered electric generators or auxiliary equipment in hydroelectric plants to verify proper operation or to determine maintenance or repair needs.
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
Arts and Humanities
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- put together small parts with your fingers
- pay attention to something without being distracted
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Electronic mail software
- IBM Lotus Notes
- Microsoft Outlook
Industrial control software
- Distributed control system DCS
- Supervisory control and data acquisition SCADA software