Biofuels Production Managers
Also called: Biofuels Production Manager, Plant Manager, Production Coordinator, Production Manager
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
Whether their product is a golf club, a car, or a frozen dinner, industrial production managers ensure that production operations meet quality and safety standards, comply with regulations, and stay on schedule. Industrial production managers also plan how to make the best use of equipment and workers to meet their goals, all while keeping costs within budget. They may oversee quality control programs to find any defects in the product and correct the problem causing it. When issues are identified, these managers need to communicate with all of the affected departments, vendors, and contractors. Industrial production managers work in all types of manufacturing plants both in the office and in production areas where they may wear protective gear. Those who specialize in quality control systems generally work in laboratories and factories, but may also find roles in healthcare. Most industrial production managers work full time, and overtime is common. Night or weekend shifts are not unusual, and managers may sometimes need to be on call to deal with emergencies. Industrial production managers typically need a bachelor’s degree and several years of related work experience. Many managers start as production workers, and move up to this position by gaining experience and furthering their education. At large plants, employers may prefer candidates with a graduate degree in business or industrial management.
What they do:Manage biofuels production and plant operations. Collect and process information on plant production and performance, diagnose problems, and design corrective procedures.
On the job, you would:
- Supervise production employees in the manufacturing of biofuels, such as biodiesel or ethanol.
- Manage operations at biofuels power generation facilities, including production, shipping, maintenance, or quality assurance activities.
- Provide direction to employees to ensure compliance with biofuels plant safety, environmental, or operational standards and regulations.
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
- human resources (HR)
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
Math and Science
- reading work related information
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- selecting and managing the best workers for a job
- managing your time and the time of other people
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
- pay attention to something without being distracted
- do two or more things at the same time
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- use rules to solve problems
- quickly compare groups of letters, numbers, pictures, or other things
People interested in this work like activities that include leading, making decisions, and business.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Industrial control software
- Distributed control system DCS
- Human machine interface HMI software
- Biofuels Processing Technicians
- Biofuels/Biodiesel Technology & Product Development Managers
- Biomass Plant Technicians
- Biomass Power Plant Managers
- Geothermal Production Managers
You might like a career in one of these industries: