Health Informatics Specialists
Clinical Informatics Specialist, Digital Diabetes Research Officer, Nursing Informatics Specialist, Registered Nurse Clinical Information Systems Coordinator (RN Clinical Information Systems Coordinator)
What they do:Apply knowledge of nursing and informatics to assist in the design, development, and ongoing modification of computerized health care systems. May educate staff and assist in problem solving to promote the implementation of the health care system.
On the job, you would:
- Translate nursing practice information between nurses and systems engineers, analysts, or designers, using object-oriented models or other techniques.
- Apply knowledge of computer science, information science, nursing, and informatics theory to nursing practice, education, administration, or research, in collaboration with other health informatics specialists.
- Design, develop, select, test, implement, and evaluate new or modified informatics solutions, data structures, and decision-support mechanisms to support patients, health care professionals, and their information management and human-computer and human-technology interactions within health care contexts.
- customer service
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- product and service development
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- reading work related information
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- read and understand what is written
- communicate by speaking
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- notice when problems happen
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
- eClinicalWorks EHR software
- Epic Systems
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Object or component oriented development software
- Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services SSRS
Education: (rated 4 of 5)
bachelor's degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Clinical Data Managers
- Health Education Specialists
- Health Information Technologists & Medical Registrars
- Nurse Practitioners
- Patient Representatives
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about health informatics specialists.