Marine Engineers & Naval Architects
Marine Engineer, Marine Engineering Consultant, Marine Surveyor, Naval Architect
What they do:Design, develop, and evaluate the operation of marine vessels, ship machinery, and related equipment, such as power supply and propulsion systems.
On the job, you would:
- Design complete hull and superstructure according to specifications and test data, in conformity with standards of safety, efficiency, and economy.
- Supervise other engineers and crew members and train them for routine and emergency duties.
- Study design proposals and specifications to establish basic characteristics of craft, such as size, weight, speed, propulsion, displacement, and draft.
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- movement of people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road
- reading work related information
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- read and understand what is written
- communicate by speaking
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- notice when problems happen
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- Ansys Fluent
- The MathWorks MATLAB
Video conferencing software
Computer aided design CAD software
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Dassault Systemes SolidWorks
Education: (rated 4 of 5)
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Aerospace Engineering & Operations Technologists & Technicians
- Aerospace Engineers
- Mechanical Engineering Technologists & Technicians
- Mechanical Engineers
- Ship Engineers
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about marine engineers and naval architects.