Design Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Process Engineer, Product Engineer
What they do:Perform engineering duties in planning and designing tools, engines, machines, and other mechanically functioning equipment. Oversee installation, operation, maintenance, and repair of equipment such as centralized heat, gas, water, and steam systems.
On the job, you would:
- Read and interpret blueprints, technical drawings, schematics, or computer-generated reports.
- Research, design, evaluate, install, operate, or maintain mechanical products, equipment, systems or processes to meet requirements.
- Confer with engineers or other personnel to implement operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, or provide technical information.
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- measuring how well a system is working and how to improve it
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
Ideas and Logic
- order or arrange things
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- listen and understand what people say
- read and understand what is written
- see hidden patterns
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- The MathWorks MATLAB
Instant messaging software
Computer aided design CAD software
- Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Autodesk Revit
Education: (rated 4 of 5)
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Calibration Technologists & Technicians
- Electrical Engineers
- Electronics Engineers
- Mechanical Engineering Technologists & Technicians
- Mechatronics Engineers
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about mechanical engineers.