Materials Engineer, Materials Research Engineer, Metallurgical Engineer, Metallurgist
What they do:Evaluate materials and develop machinery and processes to manufacture materials for use in products that must meet specialized design and performance specifications. Develop new uses for known materials. Includes those engineers working with composite materials or specializing in one type of material, such as graphite, metal and metal alloys, ceramics and glass, plastics and polymers, and naturally occurring materials. Includes metallurgists and metallurgical engineers, ceramic engineers, and welding engineers.
On the job, you would:
- Analyze product failure data and laboratory test results to determine causes of problems and develop solutions.
- Design and direct the testing or control of processing procedures.
- Monitor material performance, and evaluate its deterioration.
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
Math and Science
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- group things in different ways
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- quickly compare groups of letters, numbers, pictures, or other things
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- The MathWorks MATLAB
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Computer aided design CAD software
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Dassault Systemes SolidWorks
Education: (rated 4 of 5)
bachelor's degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Chemical Engineers
- Industrial Engineers
- Manufacturing Engineers
- Materials Scientists
- Mechanical Engineers
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about materials engineers.