Engineer, Product Engineer, Project Engineer, Research Engineer
What they do:Develop new or improved designs for vehicle structural members, engines, transmissions, or other vehicle systems, using computer-assisted design technology. Direct building, modification, or testing of vehicle or components.
On the job, you would:
- Conduct or direct system-level automotive testing.
- Provide technical direction to other engineers or engineering support personnel.
- Perform failure, variation, or root cause analyses.
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- movement of people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- notice when problems happen
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- The MathWorks MATLAB
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Computer aided design CAD software
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Dassault Systemes SolidWorks
Education: (rated 4 of 5)
bachelor's degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Electrical Engineers
- Electronics Engineers
- Industrial Engineers
- Mechanical Engineers
- Mechatronics Engineers
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about automotive engineers.