Civil Engineering Technicians
Also called: Civil Engineering Designer, Civil Engineering Technician, Engineer Technician, Engineering Technician
What they do:Apply theory and principles of civil engineering in planning, designing, and overseeing construction and maintenance of structures and facilities under the direction of engineering staff or physical scientists.
On the job, you would:
- Calculate dimensions, square footage, profile and component specifications, and material quantities using calculator or computer.
- Read and review project blueprints and structural specifications to determine dimensions of structure or system and material requirements.
- Draft detailed dimensional drawings and design layouts for projects and to ensure conformance to specifications.
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
- building and construction
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- administrative services
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- listen and understand what people say
- read and understand what is written
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
Ideas and Logic
- use rules to solve problems
- notice when problems happen
- see hidden patterns
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Electronic mail software
Map creation software