Electro-Mechanical & Mechatronics Technologists & Technicians
Electro-Mechanic, Electromechanical Technician (EM Technician), Electronics Technician (Electronics Tech), Mechanical Technician (Mechanical Tech)
What they do:Operate, test, maintain, or adjust unmanned, automated, servomechanical, or electromechanical equipment. May operate unmanned submarines, aircraft, or other equipment to observe or record visual information at sites such as oil rigs, crop fields, buildings, or for similar infrastructure, deep ocean exploration, or hazardous waste removal. May assist engineers in testing and designing robotics equipment.
On the job, you would:
- Test performance of electromechanical assemblies, using test instruments such as oscilloscopes, electronic voltmeters, or bridges.
- Install or program computer hardware or machine or instrumentation software in microprocessor-based systems.
- Read blueprints, schematics, diagrams, or technical orders to determine methods and sequences of assembly.
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- put together small parts with your fingers
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- notice when problems happen
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by writing
- quickly compare groups of letters, numbers, pictures, or other things
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- ESRI ArcGIS software
- The MathWorks MATLAB
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Computer aided design CAD software
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Dassault Systemes SolidWorks
Education: (rated 3 of 5)
certificate after high school or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Aerospace Engineering & Operations Technologists & Technicians
- Avionics Technicians
- Calibration Technologists & Technicians
- Electrical & Electronic Engineering Technologists & Technicians
- Robotics Technicians
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about electro-mechanical and mechatronics technologists and technicians.