Zoologists & Wildlife Biologists
Fish and Wildlife Biologist, Fisheries Biologist, Wildlife Biologist, Zoologist
What they do:Study the origins, behavior, diseases, genetics, and life processes of animals and wildlife. May specialize in wildlife research and management. May collect and analyze biological data to determine the environmental effects of present and potential use of land and water habitats.
On the job, you would:
- Make recommendations on management systems and planning for wildlife populations and habitat, consulting with stakeholders and the public at large to explore options.
- Inventory or estimate plant and wildlife populations.
- Disseminate information by writing reports and scientific papers or journal articles, and by making presentations and giving talks for schools, clubs, interest groups and park interpretive programs.
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Safety and Government
- law and government
- customer service
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- listen and understand what people say
- read and understand what is written
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- use rules to solve problems
- pay attention to something without being distracted
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Geographic information system
- ESRI ArcGIS software
- Geographic information system GIS software
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Analytical or scientific software
- Statistical software
Education: (rated 5 of 5)
bachelor's degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Conservation Scientists
- Environmental Restoration Planners
- Range Managers
- Soil & Plant Scientists
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about zoologists and wildlife biologists.