Atmospheric & Space Scientists
Forecaster, General Forecaster, Meteorologist, Warning Coordination Meteorologist
What they do:Investigate atmospheric phenomena and interpret meteorological data, gathered by surface and air stations, satellites, and radar to prepare reports and forecasts for public and other uses. Includes weather analysts and forecasters whose functions require the detailed knowledge of meteorology.
On the job, you would:
- Broadcast weather conditions, forecasts, or severe weather warnings to the public via television, radio, or the Internet or provide this information to the news media.
- Gather data from sources such as surface or upper air stations, satellites, weather bureaus, or radar for use in meteorological reports or forecasts.
- Develop or use mathematical or computer models for weather forecasting.
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- product and service development
- reading work related information
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- notice when problems happen
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- see hidden patterns
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- IBM SPSS Statistics
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Graphics or photo imaging software
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- Microsoft Paint
Education: (rated 4 of 5)
bachelor's degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Climate Change Policy Analysts
- Data Scientists
- Remote Sensing Scientists & Technologists
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about atmospheric and space scientists.