Ecologist, Environmental Consultant, Environmental Protection Agency Counselor, Research Scientist
What they do:Apply principles and processes of natural ecosystems to develop models for efficient industrial systems. Use knowledge from the physical and social sciences to maximize effective use of natural resources in the production and use of goods and services. Examine societal issues and their relationship with both technical systems and the environment.
On the job, you would:
- Identify environmental impacts caused by products, systems, or projects.
- Identify or develop strategies or methods to minimize the environmental impact of industrial production processes.
- Analyze changes designed to improve the environmental performance of complex systems and avoid unintended negative consequences.
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
- computers and electronics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
- reading work related information
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- communicate by writing
- communicate by speaking
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- use rules to solve problems
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- StataCorp Stata
- Substance Flow Analysis STAN
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Data base user interface and query software
- Microsoft Access
- Oracle Database
Education: (rated 5 of 5)
master's degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Conservation Scientists
- Environmental Restoration Planners
- Environmental Scientists & Specialists, Including Health
- Soil & Plant Scientists
- Water Resource Specialists
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about industrial ecologists.