Area, Ethnic, & Cultural Studies Teachers, Postsecondary
Also called: Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Professor, Women's Studies Professor
What they do:Teach courses pertaining to the culture and development of an area, an ethnic group, or any other group, such as Latin American studies, women's studies, or urban affairs. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
On the job, you would:
- Initiate, facilitate, and moderate classroom discussions.
- Evaluate and grade students' class work, assignments, and papers.
- Prepare and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as race and ethnic relations, gender studies, and cross-cultural perspectives.
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- history and archeology
Math and Science
- sociology and anthropology
- reading work related information
- talking to others
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- teaching people how to do something
- understanding people's reactions
- communicate by speaking
- communicate by writing
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- use rules to solve problems
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Computer based training software
- Blackboard Learn
Word processing software
Electronic mail software