Area, Ethnic, & Cultural Studies Teachers, Postsecondary
Also called: American Studies Professor, Assistant Professor, Professor, Women's Studies Professor
What they do:Teach courses pertaining to the culture and development of an area, an ethnic group, or any other group, such as Latin American studies, women's studies, or urban affairs. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
On the job, you would:
- Initiate, facilitate, and moderate classroom discussions.
- Evaluate and grade students' class work, assignments, and papers.
- Prepare course materials, such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- foreign language
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
Math and Science
- sociology and anthropology
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- reading work related information
- talking to others
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- teaching people how to do something
- understanding people's reactions
- communicate by speaking
- read and understand what is written
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- use rules to solve problems
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Computer based training software
- Blackboard Learn
Word processing software
Electronic mail software