History Teachers, Postsecondary
History Instructor, History Professor, Instructor, Professor
What they do:Teach courses in human history and historiography. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
On the job, you would:
- Prepare course materials, such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
- Prepare and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as ancient history, postwar civilizations, and the history of third-world countries.
- Initiate, facilitate, and moderate classroom discussions.
Arts and Humanities
- history and archeology
- English language
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
Safety and Government
- law and government
Math and Science
- talking to others
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- teaching people how to do something
- understanding people's reactions
- communicate by speaking
- communicate by writing
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- use rules to solve problems
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
Word processing software
- Google Docs
- Microsoft Word
Computer based training software
- Learning management system LMS
Electronic mail software
- Email software
- Microsoft Outlook
Education: (rated 5 of 5)
doctoral degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Anthropology & Archeology Teachers, Postsecondary
- Area, Ethnic, & Cultural Studies Teachers, Postsecondary
- Philosophy & Religion Teachers, Postsecondary
- Political Science Teachers, Postsecondary
- Sociology Teachers, Postsecondary
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about history teachers, postsecondary.