Coaches & Scouts
Basketball Coach, Coach, Football Coach, Track and Field Coach
What they do:Instruct or coach groups or individuals in the fundamentals of sports for the primary purpose of competition. Demonstrate techniques and methods of participation. May evaluate athletes' strengths and weaknesses as possible recruits or to improve the athletes' technique to prepare them for competition. Those required to hold teaching certifications should be reported in the appropriate teaching category.
On the job, you would:
- Plan, organize, and conduct practice sessions.
- Provide training direction, encouragement, motivation, and nutritional advice to prepare athletes for games, competitive events, or tours.
- Adjust coaching techniques, based on the strengths and weaknesses of athletes.
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- customer service
Math and Science
- talking to others
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- teaching people how to do something
- understanding people's reactions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- create new and original ideas
- order or arrange things
- pay attention to something without being distracted
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Self Control
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
Word processing software
- Google Docs
- Microsoft Word
Video creation and editing software
Desktop communications software
Education: (rated 4 of 5)
bachelor's degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Athletes & Sports Competitors
- Athletic Trainers
- Exercise Trainers & Group Fitness Instructors
- Self-Enrichment Teachers
- Umpires, Referees, & Other Sports Officials
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about coaches and scouts.