Optometrist, Optometry Doctor (OD), Therapeutic Optometrist
What they do:Diagnose, manage, and treat conditions and diseases of the human eye and visual system. Examine eyes and visual system, diagnose problems or impairments, prescribe corrective lenses, and provide treatment. May prescribe therapeutic drugs to treat specific eye conditions.
On the job, you would:
- Examine eyes, using observation, instruments, and pharmaceutical agents, to determine visual acuity and perception, focus, and coordination and to diagnose diseases and other abnormalities, such as glaucoma or color blindness.
- Analyze test results and develop a treatment plan.
- Prescribe, supply, fit and adjust eyeglasses, contact lenses, and other vision aids.
- medicine and dentistry
- therapy and counseling
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- customer service
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- understanding people's reactions
- changing what is done based on other people's actions
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
Hand and Finger Use
- put together small parts with your fingers
- keep your arm or hand steady
- see hidden patterns
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Concern for Others
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Data base user interface and query software
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft SQL Server
- First Insight MaximEyes
- VisionScience Software Acuity Pro
- Microsoft Excel
Education: (rated 5 of 5)
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Emergency Medicine Physicians
- General Internal Medicine Physicians
- Pediatric Surgeons
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about optometrists.