Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT), Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT), Respiratory Care Practitioner (RCP), Respiratory Therapist (RT)
What they do:Assess, treat, and care for patients with breathing disorders. Assume primary responsibility for all respiratory care modalities, including the supervision of respiratory therapy technicians. Initiate and conduct therapeutic procedures; maintain patient records; and select, assemble, check, and operate equipment.
On the job, you would:
- Provide emergency care, such as artificial respiration, external cardiac massage, or assistance with cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- Monitor patient's physiological responses to therapy, such as vital signs, arterial blood gases, or blood chemistry changes, and consult with physician if adverse reactions occur.
- Set up and operate devices, such as mechanical ventilators, therapeutic gas administration apparatus, environmental control systems, or aerosol generators, following specified parameters of treatment.
- customer service
- medicine and dentistry
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- looking for ways to help people
- understanding people's reactions
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- notice when problems happen
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- put together small parts with your fingers
- pay attention to something without being distracted
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Concern for Others
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- MEDITECH software
Education: (rated 3 of 5)
associate's degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Acute Care Nurses
- Cardiovascular Technologists & Technicians
- Physical Therapist Assistants
- Physical Therapists
- Radiation Therapists
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about respiratory therapists.