Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA), Nurse Anesthetist, Staff Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (Staff CRNA), Staff Nurse Anesthetist
What they do:Administer anesthesia, monitor patient's vital signs, and oversee patient recovery from anesthesia. May assist anesthesiologists, surgeons, other physicians, or dentists. Must be registered nurses who have specialized graduate education.
On the job, you would:
- Manage patients' airway or pulmonary status, using techniques such as endotracheal intubation, mechanical ventilation, pharmacological support, respiratory therapy, and extubation.
- Respond to emergency situations by providing airway management, administering emergency fluids or drugs, or using basic or advanced cardiac life support techniques.
- Monitor patients' responses, including skin color, pupil dilation, pulse, heart rate, blood pressure, respiration, ventilation, or urine output, using invasive and noninvasive techniques.
- medicine and dentistry
- therapy and counseling
- customer service
Math and Science
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
- reading work related information
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- listen and understand what people say
- read and understand what is written
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- order or arrange things
- pay attention to something without being distracted
- do two or more things at the same time
- quickly compare groups of letters, numbers, pictures, or other things
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Stress Tolerance
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
- eClinicalWorks EHR software
- MEDITECH software
Word processing software
- Microsoft Word
Education: (rated 5 of 5)
doctoral degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Anesthesiologist Assistants
- Critical Care Nurses
- Nurse Practitioners
- Registered Nurses
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about nurse anesthetists.